How to force Linux games to use Steam Proton?
Sometimes it can happen that a Linux game doesn't work that well (or at all), but now we can use Steam Proton to force a Linux supported game on Steam, to use Proton.
To use this option we have to enable Proton for our whole Steam Library.
- Click on the Steam menu and go to Settings.
- On the left side choose Steam Play.
- Here just check both options: Enable Steam Play for supported titles and Enable Steam Play for all other titles
- Press OK and restart Steam.
Now we can enable Linux supported games to install and play via Proton. The trick is simple.
- Go to Library view in Steam, and right click -> Properties on the game you want to install and play via Proton.
- Just check at the bottom option: Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool
With that we can add the version of Proton we want to try. I recommend some stable (non-beta) version, unless you know what you are doing.
Note: This method works for non-Steam games too, that we add to our Steam Library!